by LeeAnn Mailly
Here’s a run down of what to do and where to do it this weekend.
We know it’s all about “shop to you drop” on the day after Thanksgiving. But when you are all shopped out, come to “Edward Hopper Paints His World” to see illustrations from Wendell Minor’s acclaimed new childrens’ picture book about the life of Edward Hopper. Exhibit runs through January 4, 2015. 12n-5p, Edward Hopper House, 82 North Broadway.
- Nyack merchants invite you to think small before driving to the mall on Small Business Saturday Nov 29. There will be Free Parking throughout downtown Nyack all weekend, Nov 29-30.
- ArtsRock presents Milk and Cookies Playhouse featuring Walk to the Beat, Jr., a percussive world music and dance experience for kids ages 1-10. More than 25 performers from 5 cultures. Tickets are $15 (children under 18 months free). 2p at Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave.
- Gift In Gratitude, a concert by Marianne Osiel. 7:30p at historic St. John’s Episcopal Church in Tomkins Cove, 170 Mott Farm Road.
- Don’t miss the last day to see A Nyack Toolbox – Implements from the Past on display. Implements in the exhibit include hammers, chisels, and drills as well as a doctor’s stethoscope, a pharmacist’s mortar and pestle, a bootblack’s footrest and machinists’ tools. The exhibit features work by William Rauschenberg. Noon to 3p at the Historical Society of the Nyacks Museum, 50 Piermont Ave, behind Nyack Library and across from Memorial Park.
- Mike Lawlor Band performs rock and blues at Prohibition River. No cover. 10p, 82 Main St, Nyack.
- The award winning Nyack High School Chamber orchestra will be from 1-3p at The Palisades Center in the atrium by Lord & Taylor.
- Enjoy an afternoon of Victorian Tea at an historic bed & breakfast. Charming holiday decorations and tasty treats. Seatings at 12:30p and 3:30p. Cost: $25 per person. For reservations, call 845.429.8447. At the Bricktown Inn Bed & Breakfast, 112 Hudson Avenue, Haverstraw.
- Berta and Elmer Hader: A Lifetime of Art, an exhibit from The Historical Society of the Nyacks featuring the work of Grandview authors and illustrators of childrens’ books. On display through November at the Nyack Library, 59 S. Broadway.
Tues: ‘Holiday Inn’ at the Tuesdays at Two weekly film series in the Nyack Library. This months theme is ‘Movies in a Celebrating Mood’. 2p at Nyack Library, 59 South Broadway.
Tues: Nyack Chamber Holiday Party. Celebrate a year of great events and community fun! All chamber members and non-members welcome to come and meet the Nyack Chamber board members and other business owners. Current member or prospective members alike should bring their card and share their business with other community members. Enjoy craft food and drinks, as well as door prizes. Prohibition River, 82 Main St.
Thurs: Bill Batson, author of Nyack News and Views weekly Nyack Sketch Log, hosts a launch party for his new Nyack Sketch Log book. This compilation of 55 sketches and short essays has a foreword by Art Gunther III, former editorial page editor for The Journal News and is sponsored by Weld Realty. You can pre-order a signed copy of the limited first edition by visiting the “My Store” page at billbatsonarts.com.