It’s the day after the day after the big storm and village life is returning to normal. Which means if you haven’t cleared your sidewalk, you might be hearing from Nyack’s Building Department.
Nyack’s Village Code stipulates “Each person shall, by 11:00a, remove the snow and ice from the sidewalks and gutters in front of the premises owned or occupied by him or her. When the same cannot be so removed by reason of physical conditions, it shall be covered or sprinkled with sand, ashes or other suitable material.”
The regulations says if you don’t comply, you can be fined up to $100 with additional costs added if the DPW has to clear your sidewalks for you.
Here’s the full text of the law from Nyack-NY.gov:
Section 48-10: Snow removal.
- Each person shall, by 11:00 a.m., remove the snow and ice from the sidewalks and gutters in front of the premises owned or occupied by him or her.
- When the same cannot be so removed by reason of physical conditions, it shall be covered or sprinkled with sand, ashes or other suitable material.
- Any person charged with the duty of removing the snow and ice or covering the same as herein provided shall be subject to a penalty not to exceed $100 for his or her failure so to do, and in addition thereto, a violation of this section shall constitute disorderly conduct, and a person violating the same shall be deemed a disorderly person. This section may be enforced by the police, by the Village Building Inspector or by a Village parking enforcement aide.
- In addition to the penalty hereinbefore provided, the Superintendent of Public Works of the Village shall thereupon proceed to remove or cover the same, and the expense thereof shall be audited and fixed by him and against the owner of the abutting property in the manner provided by law.
- The Board of Trustees may, from time to time by resolution, amend the fine schedule called for in § 48-10C herein, and shall post such amended fine schedule in the office of the Village Clerk.
Photo: Main Street in Nyack, 2010-12-27. Credit: Roger Cohen