Nyack, Jan 3 8a — Here’s the latest on the biggest storm of the year. At least so far.
- The temperature at 8a was 13 degrees. And it’s not going to get much warmer: the daytime high today will be 14 degrees. (It could be worse: across the river at Westchester Airport it’s currently 6 degrees). Today’s forecast from WeatherUnderground: Snow this morning (70% chance) will give way to some clearing this afternoon. Snow accumulations less than one inch. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph. Tonight? Expect more winter: the mercury will drop to -2 degrees.
- Rock Co Dept of Transportation says TOR and TZx buses are running on a regular schedule but riders should expect delays of up to 20 minutes. TRIPS bus service has been cancelled for today.
- MTA Metro-North is operating on a Saturday schedule today (1/2/2014). Depending on the time of day, this schedule provides approximately 60% of normal weekday trains.
- The Nyack School District is closed today.
- Nyack Village Hall is closed today.
- As of 8a, the Orange & Rockland Storm outage map is not showing any power failures.Be careful when clearing snow and ice away from the natural gas regulator and meter as well as any outdoor vents associated with gas equipment warns O&R. Use a broom instead of a shovel to minimize the chance of damaging the piping. Keeping the equipment and vents clear of ice allow it to properly “breathe” and operate. If the outside equipment that regulates the natural gas flow becomes clogged with snow or caked with ice, the effectiveness of that equipment could be impaired and have serious consequences.