This weekend Mario the Magician’s family magic show dazzles, local band BeardComb rocks, Rockland’s Indian Day Parade marches, Penguin Repertory acts and the Piermont Train Museum remembers. This Fri-Sun list of what to do and where to do it is brought to you by The Arts Council of Rockland.
- Mario the Magician performs a family magic show, followed by an outdoor screening of Wizard of Oz! Magic show at 5:30p, movie at 8:15p. It’s Magic + Movie + Swim…Oh My! Oratamin Swim and Tennis Club, 486 W Bradley Hill Rd, Blauvelt, Nyack.
- The Nyack Film Festival screens dozens of independent films, some with a local slant. Fri from 7:30 – 11p, Sat from 2 – 11p, Sun from 2-4p at Nyack Village Theatre, 94 Main St.
- Experience a political time capsule in Rockland Votes! A Look at Presidential Elections, 1854–1968. Wed through Fri and Sun, 12-4p through Nov 6. The Historical Society of Rockland County, 20 Zukor Rd, New City.
- Enjoy blues, country, jazz, folk and rock with Paul Rose Trio. 7:30p at Torne Valley Vineyards, Torne Valley Rd, Hillburn.
- Penguin Rep Theatre presents the romantic comedy Dancing Lessons. Fri 2 & 8p, Sat at 4 & 8p, Sun at 2p Penguin Rep Theatre, 7 Crickettown Rd, Stony Point.
Join trail guide Jack Bloom on a moderate to easy 3-mile Guided Walk from 10a – 12p at Tallman Mountain State Park, 321 Rt 340, Sparkill.
- The Radio Control Club hosts the annual Haverstraw Air Show featuring planes, helicopters and a chance to fly a r/c plane with the help of an instructor. 10a – 4p at Haverstraw Model Aerodome, 585 Beach Rd, W Haverstraw.
- The India Day Parade celebrates cultural heritage with community, entertainment and a flag ceremony. Parade kicks off at 10:30a from the New City Library and ends at the Rockland County Courthouse, 1 S Main St, New City.
- Not your typical bar band, BeardComb plays Radiohead, the Rolling Stones and Blondie with the unique sound created by a cellist, trumpet player, and keyboardist. 7p at Nyack Pour House, 102 Main St, Nyack.
- Edward Hopper House features photographer David LaChapelle’s Gas Station Series. LaChapelle is renowned for his celebrity photographs, music videos and films. On display through Sept 11. 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Take a peek into the past at the Piermont Train Station Museum. Sponsored by the Piermont Historical Society. Free admission, 12n-3p. 50 Ash Street.
- It’s BeardComb at O’Malley playing Blondie, Bowie and Kanye. And it’s the one time when the words “a cellist, a trumpet player, and a keyboard player walk into a bar” isn’t a joke. It’s a great local band. 8p, 108 Main St, Nyack.
Music Mondays: Open Mic, so bring your best tunes and sign up at 6:30. Plus, enjoy tasty offerings by the chefs of Halo and Horns. 6p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union Dr, Sparkill.
- Vintage cars roll into the Bear Mountain Car Cruise along with a DJ, bounce house and food. Every Wed through Sept. 5-9p at Bear Mountain State Park, Palisades Parkway or Route 9W N.
- Hayden Arp joins Raina Sokolov-Gonzalez to perform original electronic and acoustic music. 7p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union Dr, Sparkill.
The Nyack Weekender is sponsored by