Slip and slide this Saturday on a 1,000-foot water slide, watch ‘Angry Birds’ under the stars and embark on a guided night hike through Sterling Forest. This Fri-Sun list of what to do and where to do it is brought to you by The Arts Council of Rockland.
Artist Salon Fridays with Charis Carmichael Braun exhibiting and presenting on the theme, Nude in Nature. 5-8p at Piermont Straus, 10 Round House Rd, Piermont.
- Enjoy The Total Eclipse Band performing smooth jazz, Motown, Caribbean and pop. 7:30 – 10p at Torne Valley Vineyards, Torne Valley Rd, Hillburn.
- Penguin Rep Theatre presents the romantic comedy Dancing Lessons. Fri 2 & 8p, Sat at 4 & 8p, Sun at 2p Penguin Rep Theatre, 7 Crickettown Rd, Stony Point.
- Slide the City features a 1,000-foot water slide on Nyack’s Main Street between Midland and Franklin. Tickets still available. 9a – 6p in downtown Nyack.
- Rockland’s annual Recovery Rally 5k & Walk helps to support people affected by substance abuse disorders and to educate the public. 8a registration, 9a start at Rockland Lake, Rt 9W, Valley Cottage.
- Join Historian Michael J. F. Sheehan as he explores the exciting and heroic New York Campaign in this illustrated presentation. 2-3p at Stony Point Battlefield, 44 Battlefield Rd, Stony Point.
- Experience a political time capsule in Rockland Votes! A Look at Presidential Elections, 1854–1968. Wed through Fri and Sun, 12-4p through Nov 6. The Historical Society of Rockland County, 20 Zukor Rd, New City.
- Are there spirits still in Lakeville? Take a Sterling Forest Night Hike and find out. The guided hike follows the same trails and roads miners historically walked to go to work. Registration required and bring a candle lantern if you can; no flashlights allowed. 7p at Sterling Forest Visitor Center, 116 Old Forge Rd, Tuxedo.
- Edward Hopper House features photographer David LaChapelle’s Gas Station Series. LaChapelle is renowned for his celebrity photographs, music videos and films. On display through Sept 11. 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- It’s Saturday Night Salsa dancing at the West Gate Lounge with Chico Alvarez and Conjunto Sabor. 10p and 12m, 26 Route 59.
- The Old No. 7 Band performs blues, bluegrass, R & B and rock at the South Nyack Outdoor Concert Series. 6:30p at Franklin Street Park Gazebo, between Cedar Hill and Depot Place, S. Nyack.
- Watch the film Angry Birds under the stars. Bring chairs and blankets. 7:30 – 9p at Emeline Park, 16 Front St, Haverstraw.
Music Mondays: Marianne Osiel, singer-songwriter/multi-instrumentalist Marianne Osiel is a consummate musician with her music rooted in classical, blues, folk, and even jazz. . 6p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union Dr, Sparkill.
Vintage cars roll into the Bear Mountain Car Cruise along with a DJ, bounce house and food. Every Wed through Sept. 5-9p at Bear Mountain State Park, Palisades Parkway or Route 9W N.
The Nyack Weekender is sponsored by