It’s a weekend for “hear,” there and everywhere. You can travel to France or a Golden Pond without leaving Rockland. Or listen to the music of the Dead, the Beatles, Bob Dylan or reggae. On Saturday there’s a cycling spin to Zoo Jersey and a new sport to try; on Sunday there are new stories to hear. Looking ahead to next week: free outdoor music, more classic cars on Main Street and a drive-in movie. As George Gershwin might have said, “It’s summer time, and the calendar is busy.” (we’re paraphrasing, of course).
- Anything can happen when the Jeff Rubin Band performs at Casa de Sol. 9:30p, 104 Main St, Nyack.
- Feel that island beat as the Jah Movements Band presents a night of reggae at Olive’s. 10:30p, 118 Main St, Nyack.
- Zoo Wanna Go For a Bike Ride? This week Bike Nyack ‘s community ride is to the Bergen County Zoo at Van Saun Park in Paramus, NJ. 8:30a, meetup at Nyack Memorial Park, corner of Depew & Piermont Aves.
- Attention Francophiles: Piermont celebrates Bastille Day. French flags will fly and food will be enjoyed. Also live music and a re-enactment of the storming of the Bastille. 12n-10p, Piermont Ave, Piermont.
- Dead Heads dead ahead: The We Can Share The Wine Music Festival offers two days of fun and Grateful Dead tributes. Enjoy music, food, wine, craft beer, craft vendors, kids craft, yoga and more. Torne Valley Vineyards, Sat & Sun, 12n-6p, Torne Valley Rd, Hillburn.
- Want to get in on the fastest growing sport in the US? The Villages of Nyack and South Nyack are holding a Pickleball Demonstration Day where you can learn about the game and give it a try. 3-6p, Franklin St Tennis Courts, 95 S Franklin St, South Nyack. Don’t know what’s a Pickleball? No worries: We’ve got you covered.
- The Elmwood Playhouse presents On Golden Pond, the touching, funny American classic about love, family and the march of time. Sat at 8p, Sun at 2p, 10 Park St, Nyack.
- A powerful group of storytellers will share personal stories of oppression, justice and freedom at the Heart of the Matter: A Story Event. Stories are one of the best ways to raise awareness and motivate individuals to fight for equality and justice. 6:30p, Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave, Nyack.
- Gary Solomon of The Band Band presents a solo performance of Solomon plays Dylan. 4p, The Turning Point Cafe, 468 Piermont Ave, Piermont.
The Music on the Hudson summer concert series continues as the Mystical Majesty Band takes you back with the music of the Beatles. 7p, Memorial Park, Piermont & Depew Aves, Nyack
As part of the nationwide celebration of our late home town filmmaker, Jonathan Demme, there will be a free outdoor showing of Stop Making Sense showcasing the band, the Talking Heads. 8:45p, Artopee Way Drive In, Artopee Way Municipal Parking Lot, Nyack.
- Hot rods, vintage cars and specialty cars will roll into the center of Nyack for the Classic Car Night. One of the highlights will be the 1966 Batmobile signed by Batman himself, Adam West. There will also be outdoor entertaiment and fun for the kids. 5-8p, Main St, Nyack.
- The Jazz in the Garden series continues with Cameron Brown OC/DC at the Edward Hopper House. 7:30p, 82 N Broadway, Nyack. Rain location: Grace Church, 103 First Ave, Nyack.
Looking ahead … Nyack Jazz Week … July 22-30
The Rockland County Jazz and Blues Society presents Nyack Jazz Week 2017. Nine nights of great music, indoors & out, many free to the public. Highlights are the John Hart Trio, the Mike Stern Trio and the master vibraphonist, Joe Locke Quartet. Tickets & Full Concert Schedule, various times, various venues.