by Bill Batson
Pilgrim Baptist Church has found a safe harbor at the corner of High Avenue and North Franklin Street. The building has multiple slanted roofs and high arched windows that look like the peaks of cresting waves. The pulpit is on the north side of the nave facing south, under a series of massive wooden beams that shelter the pews as the hull does the cargo of a sturdy ship. But the pulpit didn’t always face South and Pilgrim Baptist church did not always rest at this spot. The spiritual voyage of this flock began in 1875 above a carriage shop on Burd Street.