You don’t have to travel across the country to see a house designed by the legendary American architect, Frank Lloyd Wright. But if your life’s ambition was to own one of these fabled homes, you just missed your chance to buy a Wright house built near by Nyack.
Here’s a run down of what to do and where to do it this weekend. This just in: TV celebrity Dr. Oz makes an appearance on Main St in Nyack at 1130a on Sat.
The Nyack Film Festival (Aug 21-24) includes movies by by local, national and international independent film makers. All films are shown at the Nyack Village Theatre, 94 Main St. Click here for the Friday film schedule.
- The Nyack Saturday Farmer’s Market features local farmers, florists, vendors and artists from 8a-1p in the Main Street parking lot. Stop by Veteran’s Park this Saturday at 11:30 to meet Dr. Oz and ask him questions as he leads a talk on “Bring Back Your Health.”
- Hats Off To Summer – 18th Century Style at Washington’s Headquarters: Create a tricorn or mobcap and strut your own stylish chapeau, Sat/Sun 11a-5p. Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site, 84 Liberty St, Newburgh, NY.
- Carnegie Concert Series-Beethoven: The Symphonies with pianists Christopher Oldfather & Fredrica Wyman at 7:30p. Carnegie-Farian Room, Nyack Library, 59 South Broadway.
- Nyack Film Festival continues. Click here for the Saturday schedule.
- The Borderline Folk Music Club pays tribute to Pete Seeger at their annual picnic and singing party from 12n-6p. Special musical workshop by performers who were close to Pete. Germond’s Park, 165 Germonds Rd., Bardonia, NY.
- The Jacob Blauvelt House in New City celebrates its official NYS “Paths through History” designation with free tours of the 1832 farmhouse at 1p, 2p, and 3p. 20 Zukor Rd, New City.
- Nyack Film Festival continues.Nyack Film Festival continues. Click here for the Saturday schedule.
In the Broadway musical called The Producers, two insincere impresarios hatch a scheme to make money from a theatrical flop. Benny Daniels says the owners of Nyack’s Playhouse Market tried a similar strategy at the restaurant they opened last Spring on South Broadway on the former site of the Tappan Zee Playhouse.
Daniels says the principals at the Playhouse Market committed business and tax fraud. “They took money from a lot of employees under the assumption that [the employees] would get a portion of the proceeds from the restaurant. But they took the money and ran.”
by Dave Zornow
Nyack, August 8 — NYS Senator David Carlucci (D-New City) announced a $100,000 grant this week for Nyack Needs a Skate Park, a community fundraising effort to build a new skate park in Memorial Park. The New York State grant follows previous contributions from the Tony Hawk Foundation, punk band The Misfits and Wright Brothers Real Estate.
“Working with my colleagues in the Senate, we were able to secure a grant that will finally [let Nyack] complete this project,” said Carlucci. “It makes it easier when it comes from the ground up…when the community really comes together and sees that vision.”
The new school year must be just around the corner.
If you are driving on Main Street, Depew Avenue, Broadway, Cedar Street, High Avenue or Piermont Avenue in the Village of Nyack on Wed Aug 6, be on the lookout for road crews working on these streets.
Contractors for the village will be painting the double yellow lines on these streets.
The village’s celebration of USA’s birthday starts at 7:30p on Tuesday, July 1 with “An American Salute: Musical Fireworks,” a free concert featuring the Orangetown Concert Band. The real fireworks fill the sky on Friday night, beginning around 9p.
Want to know where to go and what you to do within a day’s drive of Nyack this summer? The Nyack Library is your “Summer Staycation Center” on Sat June 28 at 2p for a talk by seven experts with fun ideas for day trips that don’t require flights, hotels or travel insurance.
by Dave Zornow
They exist among us as scary eyesores that haunt our neighborhoods. In Nyack, there were 17 of them, but due to the efforts of some dedicated and persistent neighbors, now there are only 12 left. However, some estimates count as many as 15,000 of them across New York State.
These zombies don’t walk among us but they do reside in our neighborhoods. Last Monday, NYS Senator David Carlucci and Nyack Mayor Jen White held a press conference to highlight the problem of abandoned properties and promote legislation that will help communities address the issue.
by Dave Zornow
A Tappan Zee Bridge construction milestone was completed earlier this month. However, it’s not something that the thousands of motorists that cross the existing bridge each day will ever see. It’s located almost the length of a football field below the Hudson River.
The pilings for the piers that will support the two main towers of the new bridge are now in place. When the project is completed in 2018, more than 1,000 piles will be sunk in the riverbed to support the 43 piers on which the roadway will be built.
Local cyclists will hold their annual Ride of Silence on Wednesday in New City to raise awareness for bike safety. The Rockland Bicycling Club will lead a Ride of Silence on Wed May 21 from the front of the Rockland County Courthouse, 1 S. Main St in New City. The ride will begin and end at the Courthouse.
The top men’s and women’s finishers in Sunday’s Gran Fondo New York race hailed from Columbia. Gabriel Corredor finished first with a winning time of 4:21 for his second straight win. Amparo del Pilar Gonzalez 5:02 time was tops among women.