by Bill Batson
Carson McCullers came to Nyack in 1945 to convalesce and create. For 22 years she found a place to do both, completing The Member of the Wedding, The Ballad of the Sad CafÃ© and Clock Without Hands. McCullers moved to the village five years after the publication of her acclaimed first novel, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. On September 29, 1967, her heart and vascular system, weakened by a litany of ailments and the strain from the kind of despondency that often afflicts great artists, finally surrendered. But thanks to a policy that governs the house where she once lived and the work of a program at a university based in the Southern town of her birth, her Nyack legacy continues.