by Bill Batson
Byron Wood Church came to Nyack in November 1901 with his wife Eliza and daughters Dorothy and Mildred to manage The Church Motor and Launch Company. Church manufactured motors and boats to meet the growing market for power boats in the early 20th century. In Fall of 2013, Church’s great- granddaughter, Carole Zak returned to visit one of the houses in Nyack where he lived and met the current occupant, T. Robins Brown. An architectural historian and boat enthusiast, Brown worked closely with Zak and her siblings to mount an exhibit about Church which is currently on display at the Historical Society of the Nyacks.