by Bill Batson
Legend has it that when Helen Hayes MacArthur first saw this fine example of Italianate architecture on North Broadway, her husband, playwright Charles MacArthur told her it would cost them a Pretty Penny. The name stuck. From 1934 until 1990, the actress who was known to the world as the First Lady of American Theater lived here in the Village of Nyack as a mother, wife, neighbor and civic leader –not as a celebrity.
An exhibit entitled “Helen Hayes, the First Lady of Nyack,” is on display in the Nyack Library’s Carnegie-Farian room through March.